Weighing of important qualities is considered in the selecting perfect material to use in producing products like stainless steel bars, medical bars, etc.
As we all know, stainless steels are manufacturing materials that have good strength, corrosion-resistance, and fabrication resistance.
These materials can always meet a vast range of design standards and this includes service life, load, and low maintenance. Thus, choosing or selecting the right stainless steel types and grades needs thorough weighing of four qualities in important order:
A. Heat or Corrosion Resistance
– This is the basic reason to consider for specifying stainless steel products. There is a need to have knowledge about the nature of stainless steel environment and the level of required resistance to heat or corrosion of every stainless steel material.
B. Mechanical Properties
– The basis for steel selection is the combination of strength and corrosion resistance. This quality involves particularly elevated or low temperature and strength at room.
C. Manufacturing Operations
– This focuses on the operations on how the product will be made like these following examples: machining, grinding, welding, chamfering, forging, stamping, roll forming, four-slide operations. The quality of a certain steel product really depends on the specific processes that the steel materials undergo to reach hardness, accuracy, and perfect roundness. Among the most sought mechanical operations now is the centerless grinding that is proven to produce accurate roundness.
D. Whole Cost
– Considering the expenses of production and material as well as the increasing savings of product with durability but maintenance-free.
Well, the selection of the particular steel particularly depends on what is required on a particular application. If there is an urge to create stainless steel bars, then more likely austenitic steel types should be used. On the other hand, medical steel bars are much available in martensitic types of steels. The environment of a certain stainless steel product including the chemical processes in which the steel is formed and what will also determine its features like resistance to corrosion and heat will help determine what type of stainless steel material to use. Aside from those important qualities that have to be considered, there are also other factors that need to be taken into account.
1. Required Strength – Austenitic, martensitic, duplex, and PH steels can obtain higher strengths. Strengths may differ according to the series of processes the materials that undergo. For example, forming and welding processes oftentimes influence what material and grade should be the most suitable.
2. Operation’s Temperature – Corrosion rates are usually accelerated by high temperatures. Thus, it signifies a higher grade. Well, mostly low temperatures require hard austenitic steel.
3. Required Product Form – Not all grades can be obtainable in all product sizes and forms like sheet, tube, and bar. Moreover, austenitic steels can offer wide range of dimensions that all product forms can be formed out from it. So mostly stainless steel bars are created from austenitic type of stainless steel.
Well, steel products forms and sizes may differ according to the type of steel used. Austenitic for example, as what has been mentioned, can be perfect for creating stainless steel bars. The certain types of steels undergo various cooling and hardening processes which result to different characteristics in each material.
Almost all stainless steel have good weldability. Therefore, it needs to be taken into account that joint forces and any filler metal should be kept from contaminations like oxide and organic material.
In selecting welding filler materials for stainless steel, a principal concern in matching the major properties of the base metal is considered. Moreover, for duplex and nominally austenitic stainless steel, there should be some control over the ferrite content of the weld metal.
To sum it up, it is not just the type or grade of stainless steel that has to be taken into account, but as well as the environment, the operations, and all – for these will greatly affect the quality of the product. Quality is always sought in very product and purchase.
Feed yourself with more ideas about steel and other products, by visiting us at http://www.ohareprecision.com/.